![]()
In its earliest days (1900-1920), area residents had to pickup their mail from long rows of muddy mailboxes located at Woodward and Rockwell (Nine Mile today). As roads improved mail started to be delivered directly to homes. Back then mail was handled by the Highland Park Post Office, and later by the Detroit Post Office (as it is today). There was often confusion due to duplicate street names between Ferndale and Detroit, so on March 18, 1920 dozens of Ferndale street names were changed to "facilitate mail delivery and avoid duplication of said names in the Detroit Postal District". For example Plum Street became East Cambourne and Woodle Street became West Saratoga. A few street names were also changed in later years. A curious "blueprint map" was created just before the name change showing the old names (which helps solve mysteries)!
Up through 1923 the Village of Ferndale petitioned for its own post office. In 1924 Ferndale's first post office was opened in a leased storefront of the newly built Ostrander Building at 188 West Rockwell Avenue (Nine Mile Road). Ferndale's first post office opened on Aug 28, 1924 with John W. Allison as Superintendent. The Ostrander Building burned down Sept 1975 (long after the post office had moved out), the location is about where "The Rocket" is today.
Village residents thought they deserved a real post office building. After some debate the location chosen was on Woodward at West Troy Street where it is today. That location had been part of the Arthur C. Porter farm then was purchased by the Detroit Baptist Union. The Ferndale Baptist Church (located it what is now the back parking lot of the post office) had been moved to this site from across West Troy Street a few years earlier. The Ferndale Baptist Church decided to move their church again and sell several lots they owned on West Troy Street to the U.S. Government in 1936.
With the help of their Congressman, the Honorable George A. Dondero, himself a native of the area, a $68,000 grant was obtained from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to construct the building.
In April 1936 a drawing was presented to Ferndale City Council showing what the new post office will look like (drawing below). One excerpt described much of what we still see today: "The entrance is to be the beauty spot. A 20 to 30-foot walk will lead to a flight of light gray granite steps opening into a lobby of dark cedar, marble and polished natural bronze."
Ground was broken Saturday Sept 26 at 4 O'clock and construction started Monday Sept 28, 1936. Construction was said to come in at $64,000, just under the $68,000 grant. The 9,152 square foot building was first occupied on June 1, 1937 as furniture and equipment was fitted.
A cornerstone & time capsule was prepared! The building committee reached out to 50 church organizations, clubs, and associations asking for a brief written history of their organizations. Post office Superintendent E. R. Damaschke is reported to have been "busy gathering valuables" to include. The "valuables" included the current rule book for mail carriers, copies of the Ferndale Gazette describing his work in Ferndale, and newspaper reports about the new post office. These were sealed into the cornerstone prior to the dedication. The cornerstone (northeast-front corner of the building) credits Henry Morgenthau Jr. (Secretary of the Treasury), James A. Farley (Postmaster General), Louis A. Simon (Supervising Architect who is noted for many buildings on the National Register of Historic Buildings samples HERE) and Neal A. Melick (Supervising Engineer).
The new building was dedicated in a grand celebration on August 28, 1937 (13 years to the day after Ferndale's first post office). At 2PM on Saturday Aug 28th a parade of clerks, letter carriers, and officials started from the prior post office at 188 West Nine Mile to join several hundred spectators at the new post office on Woodward. They were escorted by the "famous Detroit Letter Carriers Band and the Ladies Drill Corp"! The post office officially opened for business the following Monday Aug 30, 1937
Congressman George A. Dondero, Ferndale Mayor Degenhardt, Primary Engineer Ralph H. Strait, Contractor C.E. Daniel, and Detroit Postmaster Roscoe B. Huston were in attendance. The Treasury Dept was represented by the Honorable Wrightson Chambers, Superintendent Division of Engineering & Research. Wrightson officially presented the post office to Edward R. Damaschke Superintendent of the branch. The local American Legion post donated and raised the flag for the first time over the Post Office.
First Day of Issue Cover (AKA First Day Covers) were offered to Philatelists - the museum is proud to have two copies (example below).
As part of the 1937 dedication an enterprising aerialist with a hot air balloon took up donations to demonstrate his skills. As he floated in the basket of his balloon, high over the post office, he lowered himself from the basket onto a trapeze and did a few aerial tricks. Suddenly a gust of wind blew the balloon and its performing tenant away from the post office site and toward Eight Mile. He was later found in a tree on Ferndale’s east side, safe but well off course.
In August 1940 lighting struck the chimney, causing bricks to scatter on the pavement and smoke to pour from the electrical sockets inside the building.
In November 1981 the USPS worked with the State of Michigan to consider nomination of Ferndale's Post Office to the National Register of Historic Places. It was one of 5 buildings being considered at the time (we do not know where the other 4 buildings were in the state). Ferndale City Council, and a newly formed Historical Study Committee gathered as much history as they could find and submitted to the USPS. Unfortunately the effort was not successful and Ferndale has yet to have a building on the National Register of Historic Places.
See Also: The Lincoln Park Post Office has a |

Unauthorized use or duplication of this material without expressed
and written consent from the Ferndale Historical Society is prohibited.
Revised: July 27, 2026