Lincoln High School history starts in 1918 when the school authorities purchased about three
acres of land at Nine Mile Road and Livernois Avenue for the sum of $4000. A temporary building was erected which though officially known as the High School was also known as the City Hall. Records differ as to when the first graduation was held. One account tells us that in 1918 the first graduating class of two members received diplomas from what was then known as Central School. To honor these two young people a Ferndale Alumni Banquet was held on June 21st, 1918. Mr. John Andrews, who had succeeded Mr. C. S. Mulholland as superintendent, was toastmaster. Mrs. Newton Kirkpatrick gave some readings, and the well known Annette Henderson did some vocal numbers. Little Bessie and Fannie Gill played a piano duet. The program was brought to a close by Mabel Harris and George Laing playing "Keep the Home Fires Burning!". Another account reports the graduation exercises of the High School in June 1919 was held in the Baptist Chapel when William Paul, then village treasurer, presented the diploma to Miss Catherine Renton, the only member of the 1919 class.
In April 1919 the school board set aside $100,000 for the construction of Lincoln High
School and by 1920 the first section of Lincoln was completed. This consisted of a gymnasium,
auditorium and five classrooms with office space for the Board of Education as well as the high
school. By 1921 it was necessary to build a frame annex to house the home economics department and the commercial department. This annex was connected with the main part of the building by a boardwalk. Located to the west of the main building, it began a long career of usefulness for many departments including the school cafeteria. One of its pleasanter functions being an area around which many wild flowers grew for party and table decorations. When the east wing of the building was constructed, this annex was moved to its present position at the back of the main building. Since that time, it has been used for the music department, student center, and for classrooms.
The village of Ferndale grew very rapidly during the next six years. As the population
increased from 2,500 to more than 14,000 the school membership increased accordingly. In 1923 it was necessary to build the east wing, and in 1926 the west wing was completed. In January 1931 the addition to the west wing provided space for six classrooms housing the music department, part of arts and crafts classes, and business education.
In the late 30s it was apparent that the old gymnasium was entirely inadequate for the current
enrollment and activities. A floor was constructed between the first and second story of the old gym to make a study hall for 260 pupils. The lower part was converted into a manual training shop, supplying a long felt demand for ample shop accommodations. The girls' shower room was
converted into an addition to the cafeteria, thus giving the much needed space there.
The new gym, opening on Withington, was dedicated on October 5, 1939.This building plus
alterations and new equipment, were provided at a cost of $233,616. $105,127 of this being
supplied by the Federal government as an outright grant. This new building was constructed with
pressed brick exterior finish, with ceramic tile wall finish inside. At the back of the vestibule
entrance were two doors which open into the space prepared for the swimming pool. In view of the
many other pressing needs in the district, it was the opinion of the board that the district could not afford the additional cost of a pool or the cost of operation at that time. However, in the evacuated area until the spring of 1948, this space was used for tennis, badminton, handball, archery, rifle range and school parties.
Lincoln was always rated superior with the various accreditation agencies. In 1921 we were
accredited by the University of Michigan and in 1923 began a continuous high rating with the North Central Association. One result of these consistently high standards has been our many scholarship recipients among the graduates. These awards have been granted on local, state and national levels. Many of our students have met with success, satisfaction and honor in two areas commonly labeled as "Frills" in a curriculum. Our music department now headed by five teachers has won district and state awards yearly. Our students, in addition to the many local school events, participate in parades, ceremonies and civic events. Our athletic department has continuously upheld high ideals of health, good sportsmanship and school spirit through successes and defeats. Both of these departments have brought recognition to our community.
After the new High School was built, Lincoln became a Junior High School. Later, students
were transferred to Coolidge and Best Schools as Junior High locations. In 1976, Lincoln Junior
High School was demolished and the Foodland Shopping Center was built on the site.